Thursday, August 02, 2007

Foreign Correspondent #1

Since H hasn’t posted here since the mid-80s, I’m posting his emails under the title Foreign Correspondent. I’ll do this until he starts complaining, I electrocute this blog, or move back to Portland. Anyway this is a nice 100 worder:

I am currently reading hands down the most bizarre epic of all time: Moby Dick. I didn't anticipate the first hundred pages being a homo-erotic love fest between the canibal Queequeg and Ishmael. I am about half way through it and can't put it down. It is a wierd intense little fucker that feels non-linear but yet the plot moves straight ahead. I picked it up on a whim as Elizah started reading Harry Potter. I figured Melville had to be the complete antithesis of Rowling. Forget Fyodor and Gogol, no one captures madness quite like Melville. I plan on reading his "Confidence Man" next.

No comments: