Saturday, July 03, 2010

Serious time for an interesting man

Walker Percy's Mentalist Prose

“Not in a thousand years could I explain it to Uncle Jules, but it is no small thing for me to make a trip, travel hundreds of miles across the country by night to a strange place and come out where there is a different smell in the air and people have a different way of sticking themselves into the world. It is a small thing to him, but not me...

“Me, it is my fortune and misfortune to know how the spirit presence of a strange place can enrich a man or rob a man, but never leave him alone, how if a man travels lightly to a hundred strange cities and cares nothing for the risks he takes, he may find himself No one and Nowhere.”

- The Moviegoer (1961)

title of this post borrowed from The Cannanes's utterly undetestable Beautiful Name (words D. Nichols)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The orderer and the maker ....

.. ..

There were choclateteirs near by

A shop ran by two Asian ladies

One making the drinks

The other the orderer So I asked the maker

before I spoke to the orderer

For a glass to have some water and

She hated me asking her that

whilst she poured froth in a glass and

I hated her for me thinking that she hated me

.. ..

Waiting on my chocolate thing

I saw the maker look at me again

Having by then spoken to the orderer

I stood awkwardly in the corner

Because I didn’t know what else to do

.. ..

So I sat

At an empty table for 4

Out of the makers view

.. ..

Just then 4 people came to the door

Looking for a seat and the maker

Came up from behind the steaming machine

saw me and saw the people at the door

Then the people at the door leaving

And the maker looked again at me

with what I perceived as great unwarranted hatered

.. ..

the orderer called my order but

at the same time the maker

put a latte on the counter as well

which the orderer had seen

because I saw it in her eyes

she knew it could be confusing

and I picked up the wrong cup

and the maker said with great scorn

.. ..

“what are you doing”

.. ..

But the orderer knew and

had seen what happened and gestured

to the maker to go make

as she handed me my chocolate thing

boy moritz said...

Sean! how a chocolatier couldn't love you is anybody's guess. Remember the soup fuckers? They still masturbatory with their metaphysics? Ah, those were the days.